Dexcom has announced the launch of the new G7 real-time continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) system for people with diabetes aged 2 years and older in the UK and Republic of Ireland from 4 October 2022.
As with the previous G6 model, the G7 monitors interstitial glucose levels, sending readings automatically to a compatible display device, including smartphones, and remote monitoring and reporting capabilities allow data-sharing with family members and healthcare teams. In addition, the manufacturer reports the following changes:
- A 60% smaller, all-in-one sensor (shown below).
- A 30-minute warm-up time for new sensors, the fastest of any CGM device on the market.
- A 12-hour grace period to replace finished sensors, for a more seamless transition between sessions.
- A redesigned and simplified mobile app with Dexcom Clarity integration.
- Improved hypo- and hyperglycaemia alert settings.
- A redesigned optional receiver that is smaller with an easier-to-read display.
- Compatibility with Apple Watch (pending anticipated software release).
As with the previous G6 system, the G7 is indicated for wear on the back of the upper arm and abdomen for people aged 2 years and older, or the upper buttocks for those aged 2–6 years.
More information can be found at https://uk.provider.dexcom.com/products/dexcom-g7.